Monday, February 6, 2012

Let there be light

Chi needed a lamp. I happened to still have pieces to make a new lamp. You see the light bulbs coming on here. Ah, easy peasy. Right?


Actually, for once, it was easy. Gabe's lamp was too wobbly. And none of us loved it, so I started by dismantling Gabe's lamp. There were two problems with his, the stacked bottles weren't stable enough and the light socket wasn't seated deeply enough. Chi's room needed a small lamp anyway, so I just used one bottle.

The cord threaded through the already drilled hole. I widened the hole in the cap where the socket was seated to make it sit more firmly.

I wanted to stuff the bottle with something interesting. At first I was going to use marbles, but I couldn't scrounge up enough. The boys and the cat are masters at losing those. 


We had peppermint candies on hand and I thought that might be kind of fun, so I just kept stuffing them in, being sure to readjust the cord on occasion so that it is hidden in the middle.

I wrapped the wires around the screws and tighten them. 


(By the way, make sure to read your directions and put the correct wire on the correct side, or you'll short circuit. Yes, I did that the first time I made a lamp. Sigh.)

I screwed the now socket-ed lid back on the bottle, added a bulb and a shade, and there you have it.

A cute little candy lamp.

I know this same shade is still a little big, but somehow it adds to the cuteness in my mind. :)
This post may be linked at the following parties (for their Blog Buttons see my Link Love page): (M) C.R.A.F.T., Amaze Me Monday, Sumo's Sweet Stuff,  (T) A Little Birdie Told Me  Stories of A to Z, The Blackberry Vine, How To's Day , Type A, Amaze Me August, , Show Me What Ya Got,  (W) Wow MeBlue Cricket Design, What I Whipped UpWicked Awesome Wednesday, Sweet Peas & Bumblebees (TH) The ArtsyGirl ConnectionCreative Juice, Thrifty 101 , Smilemonsters , Everything But the Kitchen Sink, Shabby Chic Cottage, Thrifty Thursdays, House of Hepworth's,  (F) Fingerprints on the Fridge, Furniture Feature Friday,  Lovely Crafty Weekend , Remodelaholic, For the Kids Fridays, , Craft Goodies, (Sat) Tatertots and Jello , Anything Goes , Funky Junk Interiors (Sun) Creative Blog & Hop, Sundae Scoop, Under the Table and Dreaming

1 comment:

  1. So fun; so clever; so versatile too! Wonderful tutorial. Thank you so much for always having something exceptional to share at Rook No. 17!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Your turn! What's on your mind?