Sunday, September 11, 2011

Woven Canvas Headboard

I finally made Big Man (also known as Gabe) a headboard. I've been meaning to get to this since June.

Over on Young House Love, Sherry put up a fabric headboard in the guest room. She assured me that it holds up well, so I decided to do a riff on her easy, inexpensive idea.
Upon measuring things, I settled on 54" x 36" dimensions and Matt constructed a simple frame of 2 x 2s. With a little math, I figured I could have 6 inch strips of canvas and come out evenly all around.

So, I got out a drop cloth. Just the kind you get for painting. This is 6 ft. x 9 ft.

I opened it half way and marked every six inches and made my cutting lines. 

By keeping it folded in half, I was able to cut the long lengths with less time/work. I'm not saying that well, but I am sure you get my meaning.


I laid 9 strips down on the floor and then laid the frame on top. 

I stapled each strip in place, wrapping it all the way to the back. I did this only along one edge.


Lifted it up and laid the 6 strips that would go horizontal on the ground and laid the frame back down. I stapled each of the strips to one side.

Then I turned it right-side up and began to weave the strips. 
The cat was most helpful as you can imagine!
 Having left two edges free, it was actually really quick to go over and under and then just tidy it up, smoothing and sliding and pulling each into place.

I lifted the edge off the ground and pull a strip tight and stapled. Once all were secure, I flipped it over, added more staples and trimmed the excess.


We screwed a 2 x 2 to Gabe's wall to act as a hanging cleat and simply hung the headboard on the cleat. Easy peasy.


Gabe is so proud of it. I like that it is neutral, but it has some texture and interest.



He's leaned on it to read, and no problems. It's a keeper!


This post may be linked at the following parties (for their Blog Buttons see my Link Love page): (M) Mad Skills , C.R.A.F.T., Amaze Me Monday, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Singing Three BirdsMasterpiece Mondays, Making the World CuterA Little Birdie Told Me (T) Stories of A to Z, The Blackberry Vine, How To's Day , Type A, Amaze Me August, Ten Buck Tuesday, Handmade Tuesdays, Anything Related, Tuesday's Treasures, Strictly Homemade, Show Me What Ya Got, Time to Shine,  (W) Wow Me Workshop Wednesday, Whassup Wednesday, Blue Cricket Design, Look What I Made, What I Whipped Up, The Trendy Treehouse, Wicked Awesome Wednesday , Good Life Wednesday, Inspiring Creativity, Sweet Peas & Bumblebees (TH) Beyond the Picket Fence  Creative Juice, Somewhat Simple, Thrifty 101 , Smilemonsters , Everything But the Kitchen Sink, Shabby Chic Cottage, Thrifty Thursdays, House of Hepworth's, Thrilling Thursday, (F) Fingerprints on the Fridge, Furniture Feature Friday, SevenThirtyThree , Lovely Crafty Weekend , Simply Designing, Creative Corner, Tickled Pink 504 Main, Inspiration Friday at The Picket Fence, Friday Flair, Remodelaholic, For the Kids Fridays, Frugal Friday, Craft GoodiesFlaunt It Fridays , Thirty Handmade Days (Sat) Tatertots and Jello , Anything Goes (Sun) Creative Blog & Hop, Sundae Scoop, Under the Table and Dreaming

4 comments:

  1. The headboard came out GREAT! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. It always feels so great to have completed a big project for your home.

    Beth @ Hungry Happenings

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really pretty. I love a simple project with some texture.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your turn! What's on your mind?