Thursday, August 11, 2011

Beer Me!

Or whatever beverage because I've got coasters!


Is it weird to be excited by coasters?
I haven't had any for a long time. We were choosing the destroy-the-furniture-because-we-need-to-refinish-it-anyway method of handling beverages. But after I repainted the tables, I really wanted to protect them. Crazy, I know.


So, I along with the rest of the world apparently, was inspired by these paint chip coasters from The Crafty CPA:

Remember my closet redo? Well, we had a couple spare cedar planks. So I measured and cut them into squares.

And poured over my paint file. Admit it; you hoard paint chips too! And I found four that I thought went well together and worked in my living room.

I laid my wood square on the back of the paint chip and traced the edges. I made sure to keep the paint names because I liked that.
I used my paper cutter to trim them.


I didn't have any mod podge on hand and I'm lazy when it comes to going to the store. So, I squeeze a little Elmer's glue in a bowl and added about a teaspoon of water to thin it a bit. I used a paint brush and brushed it on both the wood and the paint chip.


Then I let them air dry without putting them together for a minute or so. Technically, this is the correct way to use Elmer's. It gets tacky and creates a better seal.


I place the paint chip in place and then set a ream of copy paper on top just to be sure they did not separate. A book would work. The copy paper was handy.

Once dry, I used a spray lacquer to seal them. I used a satin finish because I wanted a little gloss.


I did not need to add felt or anything to the back because the wood is not going to damage anything. We've been using them for about a week now and I still love them.


The color names are fun too. I especially like "Pumpkin Pleasure" and my favorite, "Lettuce Alone." Cracks me up. :)
This post may be linked at the following parties (for their Blog Buttons see my Link Love page): (M) Mad Skills , C.R.A.F.T., Amaze Me Monday, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Singing Three BirdsMasterpiece Mondays, Making the World Cuter, Sarahndipities, A Little Birdie Told Me (T) Stories of A to Z, The Blackberry Vine, How To's Day , Type A, Amaze Me August, Ten Buck Tuesday, Handmade Tuesdays, Anything Related, Tuesday's Treasures, Strictly Homemade, Show Me What Ya Got, Time to Shine,  (W) Wow Me Workshop Wednesday, Whassup Wednesday, Blue Cricket Design, Look What I Made, What I Whipped Up, The Trendy Treehouse, Wicked Awesome Wednesday , Good Life Wednesday, Inspiring Creativity, Sweet Peas & Bumblebees (TH) Beyond the Picket Fence  Creative Juice, Somewhat Simple, Thrifty 101 , Smilemonsters , Everything But the Kitchen Sink, Shabby Chic Cottage, Thrifty Thursdays, House of Hepworth's, Thrilling Thursday, (F) Fingerprints on the Fridge, Furniture Feature Friday, SevenThirtyThree , Lovely Crafty Weekend , Simply Designing, Creative Corner, Tickled Pink 504 Main, Inspiration Friday at The Picket Fence, Friday Flair, Remodelaholic, For the Kids Fridays, Frugal Friday, Craft Goodies, I'm Lovin' It, Flaunt It Fridays , Thirty Handmade Days (Sat) Tatertots and Jello , Anything Goes (Sun) Creative Blog & Hop, Sundae Scoop, Under the Table and Dreaming

2 comments:

  1. These are so so cute. I'm glad you gave them a try!

    megan
    the crafty cpa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this repurpose. I think I'll try this method rather than buying tiles. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn! What's on your mind?