Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Teacher Appreciation

I'm sure you've all heard it's teacher appreciation week, and let's face it, teacher's have a tough job and get little credit for the importance of the work they do. So I wanted to do something for my son's teacher.

And I saw the cutest idea at Making Memories...
I went to the local coffeehouse. I picked a smaller chain that was closest to the school.
Gratuitous picture of coffee shop thanks to Google Earth.
When I purchased my gift card I just asked for a cup and a lid. They were happy to let me have it.
I filled out the info on the card and stuck it in the cup. Popped the lid on and then got to work on the computer.

First I went to stock.xchng which is a free stock photo site. You must sign up to use it and agree that if you post photos to the site, others may use them for free. I searched "coffee" and selected an image of coffee beans and an image of coffee stained paper.

I opened the coffee beans in Photoshop Elements and selected the white background and deleted it.
Then I opened the coffee stained paper, check what the image size was, went back to the beans and made that image size match the stained paper. I added the beans to a new layer on the stained paper image.

Then I had to clean up the edges a bit. The white around some beans at the bottom just didn't blend.
So I selected beans and inversed the selection so I could erase the white only.
I then added text that said, "Just wanted to Espresso my thanks for being a great teacher."

Once I had printed the image on card stock, I trimmed it, had my son sign it, and used a ribbon to tie it to the cup. If you would like the PDF of this image, send me an email and I'm happy to send it to you.
It's a just a little something. But I thought it was fun and clever. I know she is going to like it because I know she likes coffee!

[Didn't really mean for this to be an actual Photoshop Elements tutorial, so this is missing some explanations. I just wanted to encourage you to use your computer as a tool to make the gift you want to give. If you want this image, send me a message and you can have it. I'll email you the PDF.]

Linking to great Wednesday parties.
And a new (for me) Link party:
 

Tuesday To Do Party

4 comments:

  1. They look awesome! Love the card!!! Thanks so much for linking to me. Of course that's alright. I'm honored! =o) Thanks for appreciating the under appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodnesss! That's awesome!!! Love the wording on the card! Would love for you to stop by and share this at the Tuesday To Do party!

    http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/05/tuesday-to-do-8-and-7-list-makers.html

    smiles!
    Jami

    PS....this would be great linked to the Pretty Pakcages party, too! (link at top of my blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a sweet little gift. It is awesome that you remembered teacher appreciation week. I bet she loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever! I was the overly-caffieneated teacher in my day...

    Thanks for linking to Creative Juice. Hope to see you back again this week...

    ReplyDelete

Your turn! What's on your mind?